Daily Archives: April 18, 2016

Millennial Monday: The Workplace Millennials Want

Millennial Monday LogoExpress Employment Professionals recently teamed up with the School of Media and Strategic Communications at Oklahoma State University (OSU) in Stillwater, OK, to conduct research about Millennials and their attitudes toward the American Dream. Also known as “Gen Y,” Millennials were born between 1979 and 1995 and currently make up 30% of the population. As they enter the workforce and establish career paths, it’s important to understand the motives and desires behind this robust generation. To help you get to know “Gen Y,” Movin’ On Up is bringing you an eight-week series titled “Millennial Monday.”

In this week’s installment of “Millennial Monday,” Express and OSU students surveyed Millennials, the majority of whom are working full or part time, to paint a picture of the generation’s view of the perfect workplace.

A Trendy Culture
For every generation, the image of a perfect workplace is different. As our society changes and technology increases, newer generations look for flexible and remote opportunities, work-life balance, and the right culture fit. For Millennials, a company’s culture can be the deciding factor when it comes to accepting a job offer.

When asked to rank the aspects of a company in order of importance, survey respondents chose “social media presence” as the most important, followed closely by “latest technology.” Also ranked were “speed and timeliness” and “friendly and interactive customer service.”

Elements of An Ideal Workplace
When it comes to what makes up an ideal workplace, respondents selected, in the following order:

  • Treated fairly
  • Involved with the community
  • Informal
  • Small groups
  • Warm temperatures
  • Formal
  • Large groups
  • Cold temperatures

Pay or Passion
As far as picking between a job with high pay and a job that they’re passionate about, Millennials know what they want. According to the survey, an overwhelming majority of Millennials (80%) would rather have a job that they’re passionate about. For the remaining 20%, pay is more important to job satisfaction.

A Better Boss
According to the survey, the qualities Millennials value in a boss are, in the following order:

  • Reasonable expectations
  • Relatable
  • Punctual
  • Laid back
  • Someone you consider a friend
  • Stern

Best Time for Productivity
At what point in the day do you perform at your highest level? If you’re like the majority of Millennials (37%), you work best from 9 a.m. to 12 p.m. Other peak performance times include 12 to 3 p.m. (24%) and 7 p.m. or later (16%). The worst time for productivity, according to the survey results, is before 7 a.m. (2%).

The Effects of Natural Light
When asked if they perform better in environments with a high amount of natural light, the majority of respondents (59%) reported that they do. For 5% of people, natural light does not help them perform better, followed by an additional 35% who don’t think the amount of natural light in their workplace affects their job performance.

The Importance of Fitness
Many businesses realize there are numerous benefits to promoting a healthy culture in the workplace, from offering wellness initiatives to gym memberships. Placing importance on fitness can serve companies well with the younger generations. In fact, 67% of surveyed Millennials agree that they are more likely to be attracted to a company that has a highly active culture.


Do you agree with the survey results? What does your ideal workplace look like? Share with us in the comments section below!

Keep checking Movin’ On Up every Monday for more insight on this important generation.

Miss a week? Click the links below to check out previous topics in our series.

Movin’ On Up is brought to you by Express Employment Professionals.