When you’re busy working or job searching, it can be hard to find time to volunteer or give back to your community. But, the benefits of giving back are numerous. Giving back not only makes a positive impact on your community, it also helps you gain new skills, find networking opportunities, and position yourself as a more attractive candidate to employers.
Because there are many ways to give back to your community, we recently asked Movin’ On Up readers what they’re doing to make an impact.
The survey results revealed there are three major ways readers give back to their communities. Those ways are:
- Donating food, clothes, or other items – 32%
- Volunteering – 30%
- Donating money to charitable organizations – 26%
While those three ways make up the majority of responses, an additional 8% of readers said they donate blood through blood drives.
Creative Ways to Give Back
Readers were also given the option to select “Other” and provide their own response. Five percent of respondents did so, and their responses give valuable insight into creative ways you can give back in your community, including:
- Hosting events
- Chairperson for an organization
- Helping needy friends and family
- Volunteer firefighter
- Outreach to the homeless community
- Serving on nonprofit boards
- Working with a church on community improvements
- Sponsoring children in underdeveloped countries
How do you give back? Share your stories in the comments section below!
Movin’ On Up is brought to you by Express Employment Professionals.