Calculate your odds of success with an accounting position!
Despite already having experience with several jobs, many working adults are unable to answer that age-old question, “What do you want to be when you grow up?”
Our Job Spotlight monthly blog series is designed to help you answer that question. In this series, we review all the basics of specific jobs, from salary and duties to why people do the jobs they do.
Note: The Accounting/Finance industry is a broad category, so the following applies generally.
In this month’s Job Spotlight, we’re crediting audiences with some information about accounting/finance positions. The outlook for this position is bright, as employment is projected to grow 10% between 2016 and 2026, a rate higher than most occupations. Responsibilities include dealing with financial records and making sure taxes are paid on-time.
Although pay varies depending on a variety of factors (e.g. experience, industry, geographic area, etc.), accountants/finance employees make $70,500 annually on average.
What Accountants/Finance Employees Do:
Accountants/finance workers handle a variety of responsibilities, which may include:
- Business analysis trends, alternative investment planning, return analysis and reporting, and executive briefings
- Manage all accounting operations based on accounting principles
- Prepare budget and financial forecasts
- Publish financial statements on time
- Conduct month-end and year-end closing process
- Collect, analyze, and summarize account information
What Companies Look for in Accountants/Finance Employees
Every position is different, but many companies need the following skills and attributes:
- CPA Certification
- Degree in Accounting, Finance, or similiar
- Industry experience is a plus
- Accounting software experience
- Standard cost accounting knowledge
- Excellent attention to detail and confidentiality
- Proven working experience as a cost accountant or in a meaningful field
- Thorough knowledge of accounting and corporate finance principles and procedures
Not sure where to find a position like this?
We can help.
Headquartered in Oklahoma City, OK, Express Employment Professionals is a leading staffing provider in the U.S. and Canada. If you have any questions about accountants/finance jobs in your area or job search in general, contact your local Express office or fill out our online contact form.
For More on Our Job Spotlight Series:
- Insurance Agent
- Warehouse Worker
- Administrative Assistant
- Medical Secretary
- Sales Representative
- Human Resources Generalist
- Shipping and Receiving Clerk
- Plant/Manufacturing Supervisor
- Customer Service Representative
- Graphic Designer
- Banquet Server
Do you work in accounting or finance? What else should people know about your job? Let us know in the comments section below!