Cool down and learn about what it takes to have a career as an HVAC Technician
Despite already having experience with several jobs, many working adults are unable to answer the age-old question, “What do you want to be when you grow up?”
Our Job Spotlight monthly blog series is designed to help answer that question. In this series, we review all the basics of specific jobs, from pay and duties, to why people do the jobs they do.
In this month’s Job Spotlight, we’re breezing through what it means to be a Heating, Ventilation, and Air conditioning (HVAC) Technician.
Required Education: Typically, a postsecondary non-degree award.
This varies depending on a variety of factors (e.g. experience, geographic area, etc.), but HVAC Technicians can make $48,730 per year or more.
What HVAC Technicians Do
HVAC Technicians deal with a variety of responsibilities, including:
- Installing, maintaining, and repairing ventilation and air conditioning systems and equipment
- Identifying maintenance risks on equipment
- Diagnosing electrical and mechanical faults in HVAC systems
- Performing emergency repairs promptly and efficiently
- Keeping daily logs and records of maintenance functions
What Companies Look for in HVAC Technicians
Every position is different, but many companies need the following skills and attributes:
- High school diploma or equivalent
- A postsecondary non-degree award.
- Experience as an HVAC technician
- Valid driver’s license
- Working knowledge of boiler systems
- Proficient in reading schematics and work plans
- Excellent written, verbal and interpersonal skills
Not sure where to find a position like this?
We can help.
Headquartered in Oklahoma City, OK, Express Employment Professionals is a leading staffing provider in the U.S. and Canada. If you have any questions about HVAC Technician jobs in your area or job search in general, contact your local Express office, download the ExpressJobs app from your mobile store, or fill out our online contact form.
For More on Our Job Spotlight Series:
- Insurance Agent
- Warehouse Worker
- Administrative Assistant
- Medical Secretary
- Sales Representative
- Human Resources Generalist
- Shipping and Receiving Clerk
- Plant/Manufacturing Supervisor
- Customer Service Representative
- Graphic Designer
- Banquet Server
- Materials Handler
- Data Entry Specialist
- AutoCAD Drafter
- CNC Machinist
- Claim Services Assistant
- Mail Clerk
- Medical Office Manager
- General Construction Worker