Learn about a career as a forklift operator.
Despite already having experience with several jobs, many working adults are unable to answer the age-old question, “What do you want to be when you grow up?”
Our monthly Job Spotlight blog series is designed to help answer that question. In this series, we review all the basics of specific jobs, from pay and duties, to why people do the jobs they do.
In this month’s Job Spotlight, we’re taking a look at what it means to be a forklift operator. Operating a forklift with the utmost care to ensure efficiency and safety is an essential part of the job.
Required Education: No formal education is required, although some employers may prefer a high school diploma.
This varies depending on a variety of factors (e.g. experience, geographic area, industry, etc.), but Forklift Operators can make as much as $17.68 per hour.
What Forklift Operators Do
They deal with a variety of tasks, including:
- Driving and operating a forklift safely
- Helping support the unloading, checking-in, and distribution of freight
- Loading semi-truck trailers
- Managing shipping pallet organization
- Ensuring the highest quality pallets are used for shipments
What Qualities Should Forklift Operators Have?
Every position is different, but many companies look for the following skills and attributes:
- Strong hand-eye coordination
- Forklift and loading/unloading experience
- Experience in reading bill of lading and other freight forms
- Attention to detail and a spotless safety record
Not sure where to find a position like this?
We can help!
Headquartered in Oklahoma City, OK, Express Employment Professionals is a leading staffing provider in the U.S. and Canada. If you have any questions about Forklift Operator jobs in your area or job search in general, contact your local Express office, download the ExpressJobs app from your mobile store, or fill out our online contact form.
For More on Our Job Spotlight Series:
Light Industrial Jobs:
Skilled Trades Jobs:
Are you a Forklift Operator? What else should people know about your job? Let us know in the comments section below!