In our monthly Job Spotlight blog series, we review all the basics of specific jobs, from pay and duties, to why people do the jobs they do.
In this month’s Job Spotlight, we’re taking a look at what it means to be an Electrician. Electricians are responsible for executing plans of electrical wiring for well-functioning lighting, intercom, and other electrical systems.
A high-school diploma or equivalent is usually preferred, as well as Apprenticeship training.
This varies depending on a variety of factors (e.g. type of work, geographic area, industry, etc.), but Electricians can make $20 to $34 per hour on average depending on experience.
What Electricians Do:
They deal with a variety of tasks, including:
- Installing electrical apparatuses, fixtures, and equipment for alarm and other systems
- Installing safety and distribution components (e.g. switches, resistors, circuit-breaker panels, etc.)
- Connecting wiring in electrical circuits and networks ensuring compatibility of components
- Preparing and assembling conduits and connecting wiring through them
- Preventing breakdown of systems by routinely inspecting and replacing old wiring
- Performing effective troubleshooting to identify hazards or malfunctions and repair or substitute damaged units
What Qualities Should Electricians Have?
Every position is different, but many companies look for the following skills and attributes:
- Experience in industrial and/or commercial electrical systems
- Ability to use electrical and hand tools
- Thorough knowledge of safety procedures and legal regulations and guidelines
- Excellent critical thinking and problem-solving ability
- Diploma or certification in relevant vocational training or successfully completed apprenticeship as an electrician
- Valid electrical license
Not sure where to find a position like this?
We can help!
Headquartered in Oklahoma City, OK, Express Employment Professionals is a leading staffing provider. If you have any questions about electrician jobs in your area or job search in general, contact your local Express office, download the ExpressJobs app from your mobile store, or fill out our online contact form.
For More on Our Job Spotlight Series:
Light Industrial Jobs:
Skilled Trades Jobs: