By Julie Neal, Corporate Communications and PR Specialist for Express Employment Professionals International Headquarters
Few things in life are guaranteed, but change is one of them. When you get your foot in the door at a great company and envision a career of longevity, your job will likely require further training throughout the years to gain skills needed for the future workforce.
In a recent survey from The Harris Poll, commissioned by Express Employment Professionals, 72% of employers would actually rather invest in current employees through reskilling than hire new ones from outside the organization.
And this desire increases by company size.
Three-in-five hiring managers (60%) say their companies plan to reskill employees by the end of 2021 with larger companies the most likely to offer reskilling opportunities: 2-9 employees: 26%, 10-49: 45%, 50-99: 63%, 100-499: 76%, 500+: 79%.
To accomplish this, they plan to offer company-led training sessions or programs (67%), partnering with a third party that offers training or courses (51%) and providing on-the-job training by other employees (50%).
If your company doesn’t offer reskilling or upskilling options, there are plenty of resources available online or through local Vo-Techs or community colleges.
Online options include:
- ExpressLearn – ExpressLearn is an online learning program for Express associates featuring a variety of flexible courses in high-demand fields.
- Online Course Sites – Sites like Udemy.com offer free and paid courses, some for as little as $5. Other websites, such as LinkedIn Learning, charge a monthly fee for unlimited access to a variety of courses. A free trial may be available.
- Express Certifications – Express offers the Business Office Technology Certification and the Career Preparedness Certification, both of which are designed to verify individuals are fully prepared to enter the workforce.
- Biz Library – Biz Library has curated a playlist of videos to help you “work from home and maintain the same level of productivity as if you were in the office.”
- Job Genius– Job Genius is an educational program, composed of 16 videos, designed to teach young adults how to successfully enter the workforce.
Have you completed any training recently that will help you advance at work? Let us know in the comments section below and tell us what inspired you to enhance your skillset!