Do you have good time management skills? Are you detail-oriented? Becoming a bookkeeper may be the ideal job for you.
Bookkeepers are typically in a customer service role responsible for recording financial transactions, updating statements, and checking financial records for accuracy.
Required Education: According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, most employers hire candidates who have a high school diploma and have completed college courses in related subjects, such as accounting. You can also be more marketable to employers by going through a certification program. The American Institute of Professional Bookkeepers offers a Certified Bookkeeper designation. In Canada, you can go through a program offered by the Professional Bookkeepers of Canada. You will also usually receive on-the-job training.
Pay: Pay varies depending on multiple factors (e.g. experience, geographic area, etc.). Because Express offices are individually owned, specific pay structures may vary for bookkeeper positions from location to location.
What Do Bookkeepers Do?
Bookkeepers deal with a variety of responsibilities, including but not limited to:
- Use bookkeeping software, spreadsheets, and databases
- Enter (post) financial transactions into the appropriate computer software
- Receive and record cash, checks, and vouchers
- Put costs (debits) and income (credits) into the software, assigning each to appropriate accounts
- Produce reports, such as balance sheets (costs compared with income), income statements, and totals by account
- Check for accuracy in figures, postings, and reports
- Reconcile or note and report any differences they find in the records
What Do Companies Look for in a Bookkeeper?
- Computer Skills
- Math Skills
Examples of similar positions:
Accountants and Auditors, Bill and Account Collectors, Budget Analysts.
If you need help finding a similar position, we can help.
Headquartered in Oklahoma City, OK, Express Employment Professionals is a leading staffing provider in the U.S., Canada, South Africa, Australia, and New Zealand. If you have any questions about Bookkeeper jobs in your area or about your job search in general, contact your local Express office, download the ExpressJobs app from your mobile store, or fill out our online contact form.