If you enjoy transforming spaces, choosing a profession as a painter may be the right path for you. Commercial, industrial, and residential painters are among the painting jobs you can work to help build a diverse portfolio.
The Job Spotlight blog series this month delves into what it means to be a painter.
According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, painters apply paint, stain, and coatings to walls and ceilings, buildings, large machinery and equipment, bridges, and other structures.
Required Education: There are no formal education requirements to become a painter. Some technical schools offer optional certificates in painting, but training usually takes place on the job.
Pay: Pay varies depending on multiple factors (e.g., experience, geographic area, etc.). According to Salary.com, a painter’s salary typically ranges between $38,174 and $48,525.
What Do Painters Do?
Painters deal with a variety of responsibilities, including but not limited to:
- Protect floors, furniture, and trim by covering surfaces with drop cloths and tarps and securing with tape
- Install scaffolding and raise ladders
- Fill holes and cracks with putty or plaster
- Prepare surfaces by removing outlet and switch covers and by scraping, wire brushing, or sanding to a smooth finish
- Calculate the size of the area to be painted and the amount of paint needed for the area
- Apply primers or sealers so the paint will stick to the surface
- Apply paint, coatings, or other finishes, using hand brushes, rollers, or sprayers
What Do Companies Look for in a Painter?
- Detail oriented
- Aesthetic sense
- Time management
- Physical stamina/strength
- Ability to work at heights
Examples of Similar Positions:
Carpenters, Drywall Installers, Construction Laborers, and Helpers
If you need help finding a similar position, we can help.
Headquartered in Oklahoma City, OK, Express Employment Professionals is a leading staffing provider in the U.S., Canada, South Africa, Australia, and New Zealand. If you have any questions about Painter jobs in your area or about your job search in general, contact your local Express office, download the ExpressJobs app from your mobile store, or fill out our online contact form.