Can we sell you on this job path?
Despite already having experience with several jobs, many working adults are unable to answer that age-old question: “What do you want to be when you grow up?”
Our Job Spotlight monthly blog series is designed to help you know your answer. In this series, we review all the basics of specific job types, from salary and duties to why people do the jobs they do.
For this month’s Job Spotlight, we’re cold calling to sell you on a sales rep position! Most every business has a sales department; how else would they find clients? The main responsibility for a sales rep is to present, promote, and sell products/services using solid arguments to existing and prospective clients.
At least a high-school diploma is required, but this varies depending on the sales position (selling scientific products, for instance, could require a bachelor’s degree).
Although it varies depending on a variety of factors (e.g. experience, industry, geographic area, commission, etc.), sales representatives can make $40,000 or more a year.
What Sales Representatives Do
Sales representatives handle a variety of responsibilities, which may include:
- Achieve agreed upon sales targets and outcomes within a time frame
- Perform cost-benefit and needs analysis of existing/potential customers
- Establish, develop and maintain positive business and customer relationships
- Reach out to customer leads through cold calling in person or on the phone
- Expedite the resolution of customer problems and complaints to maximize satisfaction
- Coordinate sales effort with team members and other departments
- Analyze the territory/market’s potential, track sales, and create status reports
- Supply management with reports on customer needs, problems, interests, competitive activities, and potential for new products and services
What Companies Look for in Sales Representatives
Every sales rep is different, but many need the following skills and attributes:
- Ability to thrive in a deadline-oriented environment
- Friendly personality/ability to resolve conflict
- Keen knowledge of current best practices and promotional trends
- Ability to continuously improve through feedback
Headquartered in Oklahoma City, OK, Express Employment Professionals is a leading staffing provider in the U.S and Canada. If you have any questions about sales representative jobs in your area or job search in general, feel free to contact your local Express office or fill out our online contact form.
Are you a sales rep? What else should people know about your position? Let us know in the comments below!