As you head back to work after all the holiday festivities, do you find yourself moving at a slightly slower pace? Are the pants that you wore before the holiday celebrations fitting just a little bit tighter than before? If so, then it’s time to start thinking about shedding some of those extra pounds and regaining some energy for the new year.
Many people want to get back in shape but don’t have the time because of work, family and other activities. There are, however, some simple exercises that you can do while you work that will help you increase your energy and health and decrease your waistline.
By following some of these tips, you can jump into the new year energized and healthy.
- Instead of taking the elevator, try taking the stairs. Just taking those few extra steps will increase the number of calories you burn each day.
- Try taking a brisk walk around the building a few times during your breaks instead of lounging around talking with co-workers. Walking increases energy levels and helps reduce stress.
- Stretch your back, legs and arms several times throughout the day to help increase circulation and prevent muscle fatigue. Stretching your body helps relieve muscle tension and increases blood circulation to various parts of your body giving you more energy.
- Lift small hand weights while sitting at your desk, talking on the phone or walking around the building. Lifting weights helps increase your muscle mass which in turn helps your body burn fat.
- If you work in a cubicle, try sitting on an exercise ball while at your desk. This will help strengthen your abs and help your posture.
- If you live close to work, you might want to try riding your bike or walking to the office. Or, if you have to drive to work, park further away from the entrance.
Trying to get back into shape after the holidays can be overwhelming, especially when you have to work every day. Following these tips can help jumpstart your exercise routine, increase your energy and lose those unwanted pounds.