The results of our third semi-annual poll are in, and our readers continue to report a high demand for second jobs. Over 3,800 people responded to our November web-based, one-question poll, which asked, “Are you looking for a second job?”
A total of 67% of respondents answered yes, while 27% responded they are unemployed. A total of about 6% of respondents stated they were not looking for a second job. Here is the full breakdown of the responses, which totaled 3,824:
- Yes – I am looking for a second job to generate more income. (2,062 Responses, 54%)
- Yes – I am looking for a second job to get my foot in the door at a new company. (497 Responses, 13%)
- I am unemployed and currently looking for a position. (1017 Responses, 27%)
- No – I don't have time to work a second job. (154 Responses, 4%)
- No – I don't need a second job because my finances are OK. (94 Responses, 2%)
As the job market continues to struggle, these semi-annual polls show that the number of people searching for a second job continues to increase.
Last November, we ran the same poll, and about 60% of readers said they were looking for a second job, while 27% of 1.428 respondents said they were unemployed and looking for work.
In June, we asked the same question, and about 66% of 1,595 respondents said they were looking for a second job, while 24% said they were unemployed and looking for a job.