You rocked your interview and landed the job! Now what? The first 90 days of work are important for any new employee. It’s during this time that you are able to shape important first impressions, build relationships, and establish a rhythm for your new role.
Here are some quick tips to help you navigate those first 90 days successfully:
- Get to work on time.
- Do your homework. Take the time to learn all you can about the company, its product and services. Skim through the bios of the company’s executive staff.
- Set up one-on-one meetings with key people who you will interact with. Remember names. Find out which departments you will need to work with.
- Say yes. Be willing to take on opportunities that present themselves, as long as you feel comfortable doing so. This is a great way to show initiative and get involved.
- Build relationships. Ask your co-workers to grab a cup of coffee with you, and get to know them better. Doing this helps builds connections. Be sure to ask questions about their job duties to gain a better perspective on how the department works. This will help you know how to approach them about future projects or tasks.
- Deliver on deadlines. If you promise to complete a task by a specific time and date, then be sure to keep your promise. No one likes a bunch of excuses.
- Work hard. Stay focused on the task at hand and avoid distractions.
- Learn the office politics but resist involvement. Stay away from the internal politics and turf battles. Learn the inner workings of the organization without having to choose sides. Getting involved is a no-win situation.
- Understand your role. Get a clear understanding of your job responsibilities from your leader. Taking advice from co-workers can be helpful, but confirm your specific job duties with leader .
- Have confidence. The skills that you have acquired in your professional life landed you the job; now learn your strengths and weaknesses as it relates to your new job.
If you recently started a new job, let us know in the comments section below how you got through your first 90 days.