Serve up a new career with a customer service position!
Our Job Spotlight monthly blog series is designed to help you answer that question. In this series, we review all the basics of specific jobs, from salary and duties to why people do the jobs they do.
Customer Service Representative
In this month’s Job Spotlight, we’re customizing a blog with customer service information just for you. Most companies need a customer service department, so job security is high. Responsibilities include regularly interacting with customers and clients, receiving inbound and outbound calls, and potentially working with custom company software.
Typically a high school diploma or equivalent, although there can be exceptions.
Although it varies depending on a variety of factors (e.g. experience, industry, geographic area, etc.), customer service representatives can make as much as $40,000 a year.
What Customer Service Means
Those in customer service positions handle a variety of responsibilities, which may include:
- Regular interaction with customers and clients
- Answering phone calls (both internal and external)
- Overseeing the guest sign-in form
- Learning and using company technology platforms (email, phone, etc.)
What Companies Look for in Customer Service Representatives
Every position is different, but many companies need the following skills and attributes:
- Basic understanding of the Microsoft Office Suite
- Ability to resolve challenges professionally
- Previous experience in a retail or customer service setting
- Ability to type 30+ words per minute
Not sure where to find a position like this?
We can help.
Headquartered in Oklahoma City, OK, Express Employment Professionals is a leading staffing provider in the U.S and Canada. If you have any questions about customer service jobs in your area or job search in general, feel free to contact your local Express office or fill out our online contact form.
For More on Our Job Spotlight Series:
- Insurance Agent
- Warehouse Worker
- Administrative Assistant
- Medical Secretary
- Sales Representative
- Human Resources Generalist
- Shipping and Receiving Clerk
- Plant/Manufacturing Supervisor
Are you a customer service representative? What else should people know about your job? Let us know in the comments section below!