Clean up your job search by applying for this type of position!
Despite already having experience with several jobs, many working adults are unable to answer that age-old question, “What do you want to be when you grow up?”
Our Job Spotlight monthly blog series is designed to help you answer that question. In this series, we review all the basics of specific jobs, from salary and duties to why people do the jobs they do.
In this month’s Job Spotlight, we’re clearing the air with some information on grounds/maintenance positions. Competition for grounds/maintenance positions is low, as employment is projected to grow at 11% from 2016 to 2026, a rate higher than most occupations. Responsibilities include assisting with general tasks, such as clean up, light construction, and some mechanically inclined occurrences.
No formal education required, although a high school diploma is a plus.
Although pay varies depending on a variety of factors (e.g. experience, industry, geographic area, etc.), grounds/maintenance workers can make as much as $13.51 per hour.
What Grounds/Maintenance Does:
Grounds/maintenance workers handle a variety of responsibilities, which may include:
- Making sure grounds of houses, business, parks, etc. are clean and attractive.
- Setting up and tearing down light construction elements.
- Working with outside contractors and vendors for completion of large scale projects.
What Companies Look for in Grounds/Maintenance
Every position is different, but many companies need the following skills and attributes:
- Ability to regularly lift 25 lbs., and at times, up to 50 lbs. safely.
- Work history in construction, landscaping, or groundskeeping.
- Experience using powered equipment and tools.
- Communicate clearly and manage a project list.
Not sure where to find a position like this?
We can help.
Headquartered in Oklahoma City, OK, Express Employment Professionals is a leading staffing provider in the U.S. and Canada. If you have any questions about grounds/maintenance jobs in your area or job search in general, contact your local Express office or fill out our online contact form.
For More on Our Job Spotlight Series:
- Insurance Agent
- Warehouse Worker
- Administrative Assistant
- Medical Secretary
- Sales Representative
- Human Resources Generalist
- Shipping and Receiving Clerk
- Plant/Manufacturing Supervisor
- Customer Service Representative
- Graphic Designer
- Banquet Server
Are you a Grounds/Maintenance worker? What else should people know about your job? Let us know in the comments section below!