Spruce up your career with a housekeeping position!
Despite already having experience with several jobs, many working adults are unable to answer that age-old question, “What do you want to be when you grow up?”
Our Job Spotlight monthly blog series is designed to help you answer that question. In this series, we review all the basics of specific jobs, from pay and duties to why people do the jobs they do.
In this month’s Job Spotlight, we’re polishing our skills with some information about housekeeping positions. Responsibilities include a variety of cleaning activities, such as sweeping, mopping, dusting, and polishing.
- Short on-the-job training, sometimes a high school degree
Although pay varies depending on a variety of factors (e.g. experience, industry, geographic area, etc.), housekeepers can make $11.84 an hour on average.
What Housekeepers Do:
Housekeepers handle a variety of responsibilities, which may include:
- Ensuring all rooms are cared for and inspected according to standards
- Protecting equipment and making sure there are no inadequacies
- Notifying superiors on any damages, deficits, and disturbances
- Taking care of reasonable complaints/requests with integrity and patience
- Checking stock levels of all consumables and replacing when appropriate
- Adhering closely to rules regarding health and safety, as well as company-related practices
What Companies Look for in Housekeepers
Every position is different, but many companies need the following skills and attributes:
- Proven experience as a cleaner or housekeeper
- A focus on guests and a friendly attitude
- Prioritization and time management skills
- Working quickly without compromising quality
- Knowledge of the English language
Not sure where to find a position like this?
We can help.
Headquartered in Oklahoma City, OK, Express Employment Professionals is a leading staffing provider in the U.S. and Canada. If you have any questions about housekeeping jobs in your area or job search in general, contact your local Express office or fill out our online contact form.
For More on Our Job Spotlight Series:
- Insurance Agent
- Warehouse Worker
- Administrative Assistant
- Medical Secretary
- Sales Representative
- Human Resources Generalist
- Shipping and Receiving Clerk
- Plant/Manufacturing Supervisor
- Customer Service Representative
- Graphic Designer
- Banquet Server
Are you a housekeeper? What else should people know about your job? Let us know in the comments section below!